Panneau de modération ]

[Effet] [English] New fuzz the Suzy-Q

Bibliothèque rassemblant des schémas d'amplis, têtes d'amplis de marque et montages divers.

Re: [Effet] New fuzz the Suzy-Q

Messagepar pinkjimiphoton le 11 Fév 2013 22:21

MicMicMan a écrit:
pinkjimiphoton a écrit:are you saying you want me to condense all replies to one post? remember, i'm at a disadvantage here to a point because i don't speak french. ;)

i can cut and paste stuff into one reply, if that's what you want. seems kinda pointless to reply to each post by editing each one together. but if that's what ya want, cool, i'll move on, as i don't have the kinda time to be editing stuff constantly.

edit : reading it again, i'm not sure you understood well
we don't want people to condense all their replies into just one post, but we want to avoid having several consecutive posts from the same person. When you have to answer to several people, you can do them all in just one answer. When you have a "minor" update, you can add it to your last post, if you own the last reply to the topic.
It helps servers by making them slightly less overloaded.

gotcha. in some cases, can absolutely do so. sometimes it gets kinda confusing tho, my bwain is widdle, and it's not to be out alone. :lol:

Regarding your controls : now I get it, it makes a bit sense because the second control is playing on the input bias and input impedance of the first transistor stage as well. I also like to play with my guitar volumes, and all subtlenesses available. But when I design an effect, i find it quite important to not drown the user into many controls, especially if they feel a bit overlapping. I try not to be a "zvex-like" guy who likes to put a knob everywhere he can. I like versatility... a lot. But I prefer one-knob stompboxes to so-many-knobs-i-don't-remember-what-they-do effects.
(don't be mistaken, I'm not saying that your fuzz is like that)

absolutely agree. but in this case, there's a reason for it; the idea was to emulate the sound of the old kustom amp's "harmonic clipper" (did kustoms ever make it to france? or were they just an american phenomenon?)...in that case, it was AFTER the preamp(s) of the amp. the original one i built was just the fuzz alone, and i didn't have the input volume, input was at the .22 (originally .0047)u cap before q1.
but it just didn't sound right...was pretty much a crunchy sounding treble booster. also, with the original vn2222 mosfets in q1 and q2, it sounded great, but wasn't quite up to unity gain. so it needed a kick in the derriere to get it louder, so tacked on a simple gain stage at the end to boost it. now unity gain is about 9:00, and you can turn the attack and harmonics controls all the way down and still use it just as a booster if ya wanted to.
was too damned hissy tho, so i kept messing with it. i was getting weird rfi and background noise when the guitar knobs were way down..the buffer (based on the foxrox wah-fuzz enabler) fixed it, so i tacked it on. wanted to have lower noise, and believe it or not, that stupid little gain control and the one before q1 made a huge difference...particularly the second one, which helped attenuate more of the background noise.
at low volumes, this thing is REALLY quiet. at stage volumes with a loud drummer, it's there, but not obnoxiously so.
i hear ya about zach vex.

how many bloody knobs does a fuzzface REALLY need? lol!!

if you want, you can omit everything before the input cap for q1, and take the output from the .22 cap at e of q2. same basic sound, but a lot noisier, in my opinion, and JUUUUUUUUUUUUST a tiny bit too quiet.

so... i guess you wouldn't like the version with the 4band eq, presence, and feedback pots? <just kidding!!>

you can use google translate !

parce que quant je vais sur des sites lithuanien ...russe ... tcheque ... et ben je suis bien content d'avoir google translate , meme l'allemand d'ailleurs , il n'y a que l'anglais qui ne me derange pas !

j'ai pas encore essayer thailande -> french ! mais il y a des bons trucs a tube sur des forums thai !

try the translate :D

ok, something about sites in lithouanian, russian, czech.. i'd be content with google translate, if english didn't make me crazy?
am i close?
lol...

avec translate d'google:

"because as I go on sites Lithuanian Russian ... ... Czech ... Ben and I am glad to have google translate, even the German Furthermore, there is the English who do not bother me!

I have yet to try thailand -> french! but there is good stuff on a tube thai forums!"

let's see:
only problem is google translate is on like, lsd or something half the time!! lol

i swear, one day it'll start a war somewhere or something. ;)
fuzzy goodness.....
pinkjimiphoton
GuitaroTechnicien

Messagepar Liuk le 12 Fév 2013 01:34

Hi PJP

just your fuzz sounds great, I like it.
see ya
Liuk
ELECTRON LIBRE

Messagepar pinkjimiphoton le 12 Fév 2013 02:38

thanks bro!
fuzzy goodness.....
pinkjimiphoton
GuitaroTechnicien

Messagepar pinkjimiphoton le 01 Mar 2013 03:04

ATTENTION: EDITED 3/5/13

miroslav at tagboardeffects.blogspot.com also did a vero of this up,
i built it today...
here's the post i just made there. his layout is built and verified, it has two minor mistakes i'm sure will be fixed soon.

ok, it's built, and running.
that track cut at d14 needs to be removed, and the jumper from b3 to d3 needs to be removed. (in other words, if you made the track cut, jumper it, or no b+ to q2!!)
and then it works, and great. sounds just like my original, a little less noise (as to be expected)...beware!! them vn2222's blow out EASY...so don't forget to power down when trying different transistors!!
fwiw, on this one, i ended up with mpsa13 in q1, ac176 in q2, and vn2222 in q3. bias trimpot about 1/2 way up. socket your transistors, and see what sounds best to you.
on this build, the transistors are slightly different than on the original, but pretty much i think any npn's will work. you know you've got it when the attack and harmonic knobs are half way up, and the volume is about 9 o'clock. should be a little louder than unity, and sound like green river, or suzy q by creedence.
i'll post voltages tomorrow, late for tonite's gig!!
miro.. nice job on the vero!! undo them two little mistakes, and you can call it verified.

here's a link to another (almost) verified layout, the one i just built i speak of above..

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... -mkii.html

peace to all!!
jimi

ok, first, here's the corrected vero...hope ya don't mind, miro!

i went thru and took voltage readings. like i said, i tend to just stuff transistors in arbitrarily, until i like something.
sometimes any old transistor will work. sometimes not.

also.. think of all three transistor locations as being cbe, from top to bottom. i didn't lay this thing out originally as dsg or anything. ;)

so anyways..

voltages, with a fresh 9v alkaline : 9.66v

q1, mpsa13 npn hfe unknown.. went higher than my meter reads.

e 0.0
b 1.18
c 1.38

q2, npn germanium, AC176 hfe: 140 @9ma leakage

e 3.63
b 3.71
c 8.40

q3, vn2222 n channel mosfet, hfe: 1,074

e .10
b 1.83
c 1.87

update march 02,13:

ok, i'm building one of these things for my friend dick.
he wanted a tone control, so i added one.
i tried the stupidly wonderful tone control, and couldn't get it and my circuit to make sweet electron love.
also tried the bmp one. same thing.
so i figured i'd try something really simple, just a basic parallel tone control, like in a guitar. i had good luck with it in my stiff hippy II 386 overdriver.

it works great. at least in this circuit. rolls off the treble leaves the mids intact, doesn't get too muddy. a/b'd it, and full up doesnt seem to suck volume OR tone.

edit 3.2.13 / 4:38 est

here's with the added "stupid pedal trick" tone control

3/5/13

most recent version, as heard in video above:

fuzzy goodness.....
pinkjimiphoton
GuitaroTechnicien

Messagepar pinkjimiphoton le 22 Juin 2017 08:20

bonsoir!

i updated this to the Suzy -Q Kustom Harmonic Clipper MKIII rev1

made it brighter, louder, less gated, and a hell of a lot gainier.
i use a vn2222 mosfet for q1, a GE ac176 for q2, and a 5088 for q3
also added the tone control from my monkey balls pedal, which implements a feedback loop and "fake variable cap" to attenuate some of the highs without fucking up the gain too badly.

removed the ge diode clipper between stages 2 and 3, it just killed the circuit too much. i've learned a bit since the original one i think. i moved it to the output of the circuit, and so far prefer either schotke's or plain old 914's. you may wanna either add a switch between the clipper and ground, or a resistance.. a 100k trimmer would let you dial in how much clipping occurs.

upped the gain of the chip, so now instead of 2x gain max, its more like 4 or 5x gain. the harmonics control really makes a difference now, and it can get VERY fuzzy. or can be turned all the way down if need be or for more of an amp sim kinda sound.

bumped up the final stage's gain substantially by changing the e resistor from 2.2k to 47r. you could also just ground it directly, but you probably don't need that much gain.

ditched the pair of caps between stages 2 and 3 as well, and made it a single .022 cap. .047 and .039 in series works out to almost exactly .022. go figure. ;)

switched around a couple components in the power supply as well, added another diode (yeah i know but i prefer this way... nothing tends to blow up, where as with a series diode the diode can fail and often does. by adding a reverse biased one to ground too an overvoltage or opposite polarity will just shunt to ground and nothing blows up)

added a bigger rfi cap to the power supply as well, and moved the ripple "choke" resistor.

i ditched ALL the fuckin snubber caps. no need for them. when i was testing stuff thru a little teeny amp, yeah, they sounded great to my ear at the time, but they really robbed the circuit of life pretty bad so i ditched all of them. the tone control works really nicely to do the exact same thing now anyways, so they were all unneccessary. the 100k feedback resistor on the chip you may wanna add a small treble peaker too, but i don't think its likely necessary.

so anyways... here ya go. the suzy q mk III kustom harmonic clipper

if ya set the attack about half, the harmonics about 1/4 and the volume about 10:00 it still really nails that green river sound, and if ya turn your guitar down its total suzy q.

but if ya crank the attack and harmonics knobs, it very much becomes a very "harmonic slurry" kind of fuzztone and can get ugly in a kinda beautiful way. the tone control can tame it down.

should have enough balls to kick any amp into overdrive.

put a fuzzface before this thing and be in guitar volume knob heaven. feels plays and sounds like you're playing thru a great classic amp.

funny, me ditching germanium from a circuit, huh? ;)

anyways... come meet the new hoss... similar to the old hoss, but more hoss power.

if ya build it and ya diggit, let me know. i'll try and lay out a vero at some point

peace

Translate
Turn off instant translation
3141/5000
Bonsoir!

J'ai mis à jour cette version de la Suzy-Q Kustom Harmonic Clipper MKIII rev1

L'a rendu plus brillant, plus fort, moins fermé, et beaucoup plus gagné.
J'utilise un mosfet vn2222 pour q1, un GE ac176 pour q2 et un 5088 pour q3
A également ajouté le contrôle de la tonalité de ma pédale de balles de singe, qui implémente une boucle de retour et "faux capuchon variable" pour atténuer certains des sommets sans foutre le gain trop mal.

A enlevé la tondeuse à diodes géométriques entre les étapes 2 et 3, il a simplement tué trop le circuit. J'ai appris un peu depuis l'original que je pense. Je l'ai déplacé à la sortie du circuit, et jusqu'à présent préfère soit le vieux scotch ou le vieux 914. Vous voudrez peut-être soit ajouter un basculement entre la tondeuse et le sol, soit une résistance ... un tondeuse 100k vous permettra de composer le nombre d'écrêtage.

A augmenté le gain de la puce, alors maintenant, au lieu de 2x gain max, c'est plus comme un gain de 4 ou 5x. Le contrôle des harmoniques fait vraiment une différence maintenant, et il peut être très flou. Ou peut être tourné complètement vers le bas si besoin est ou pour plus d'un ampli sim un peu de son.

A baissé le gain de la phase finale en modifiant la résistance e de 2.2k à 47r. Vous pourriez aussi simplement le briser directement, mais vous n'avez probablement pas besoin de beaucoup de gain.

A décroché les paires de capsules entre les étapes 2 et 3 ainsi, et a fait un seul cap .022. .047 et .039 en série fonctionne à presque exactement .022. allez comprendre. ;)

A changé autour d'un couple de composants dans l'alimentation, a ajouté une autre diode (oui, je sais, mais je préfère cette façon ... rien n'a tendance à exploser, alors qu'avec une diode en série, la diode peut échouer et le fait souvent en ajoutant une Inversement polarisé à la terre aussi une surtension ou une polarité opposée va simplement se briser sur le sol et rien ne souffle)

A ajouté un plus grand bouchon rfi à l'alimentation électrique, et a déplacé la résistance "étrangler" ondulation.

J'ai abandonné TOUTES les casquettes antidouleur. Pas besoin d'eux. Quand j'étais en train de tester des trucs à travers un petit amplificateur, ouais, ils semblaient géniaux pour l'oreille à l'époque, mais ils ont vraiment volé le circuit de la vie plutôt mal, donc je les ai tous abandonnés. Le contrôle de tonalité fonctionne très bien pour faire exactement la même chose maintenant de toute façon, donc ils étaient tous inutiles. La résistance de rétroaction de 100k sur la puce, vous pouvez ajouter un petit aigle aussi, mais je ne pense pas qu'il soit probablement nécessaire.

Donc de toute façon ... ici, allez. La suzy q mk III kustom harmonic clipper

Si vous avez réglé l'attaque à peu près à la moitié, les harmoniques environ 1/4 et le volume vers 10h00, vous cloue vraiment ce son de la rivière verte, et si vous détendez votre guitare, su cote suzy totale.

Mais si vous utilisez les manettes de l'attaque et de l'harmonique, cela devient très bien une sorte de fuzztone et peut devenir moche. Le contrôle de la tonalité peut l'endommager.

Devrait avoir suffisamment de boules pour kicker n'importe quel amplificateur en overdrive.

Mettre une fuzzface avant cette chose et être dans le bouton de la guitare bouton paradis. Se sent joué et sonne comme si vous jouiez d'un excellent ampli classique.

Drôle, je ditching germanium d'un circuit, hein? ;)

De toute façon ... venez rencontrer le nouveau hoss ... semblable au vieux hoss, mais plus de pouvoir hoss.

Si vous le créez et que vous diggit, faites-le moi savoir. Je vais tenter de dresser un vero à un moment donné

paix
Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite Translator
About Google TranslateCommunityMobile
About GooglePrivacy & TermsHelpSend feedback
fuzzy goodness.....
pinkjimiphoton
GuitaroTechnicien

Messagepar MicMicMan le 04 Oct 2017 16:22

hey, nice circuit :)
i'm a bit surprised by the use of a germanium transistor as a buffer, how much does it affect the sound?
MicMicMan
DOCTOR MOC

Messagepar pinkjimiphoton le 04 Oct 2017 19:16

MicMicMan a écrit:hey, nice circuit :)
i'm a bit surprised by the use of a germanium transistor as a buffer, how much does it affect the sound?

hey brother,
it does two things tonally... one is it takes off a little of the shrill and noise you'd get from other q's, and it may be a buffer but it warms up the tone nicely
fuzzy goodness.....
pinkjimiphoton
GuitaroTechnicien

Précédente

Retourner vers LA SCHEMATHEQUE

• Articles en relation
    Réponses
    Vus
    Dernier message